Imagine a secluded wooded retreat where hummingbirds greet you in the morning, breathtaking long-range mountain views surround you, and glorious sunsets provide the coda to each amazing day. That’s what you’ll find at the Birchwood Lodge.
Perched on a hillside halfway between Ellijay and Blue Ridge, a half mile off the main highway, this magnificent bi-level home sits on a three-acre property that showcases nature’s beauty. You’re likely to spot deer, wild turkey, or the occasional bear, which is fitting: the street name is Yonah Path, and “yonah” means bear in Cherokee. Whether it’s from the spacious decks or through the floor-to ceiling windows, incredible mountain vistas will dazzle and delight you.
Inside, the cabin is cozy, warm and inviting, professionally decorated in modern-rustic style with rich woods, soothing natural colors, beautiful furnishings and many quaint details and accents that give it personality, including the birch logs you’ll see throughout. They honor the owner’s mother, who loved the white birches that grew in the yard of their family home.
You’ll gather in comfort before the fireplace in the main floor living room, which has a cathedral ceiling, stacked stone gas fireplace, and a 55” TV. The adjacent kitchen is spacious and fully stocked, with maple cabinets, granite countertops, stainless appliances including a refrigerator with icemaker, gas stove, double oven, and microwave, a blender, toaster, crockpot, and Keurig and drip coffeemakers. The dining table seats 6, plus 4 at the breakfast bar.
On the lower level, there’s a game room with a wet bar, fridge/icemaker, a 60” Smart TV, air hockey, shuffleboard, a card table, board games and puzzles. Or head out to one of two decks, where there’s a built-in gas grill, a wood burning fireplace, 40” TV, plenty of tables and seating, corn hole, ring toss, and a six-seat hot tub for soaking under the stars. You may never want to leave, but it would be a shame not to venture out and explore everything the North Georgia mountains have to offer.
You can sample fruits at B.J. Reece and Mercier Orchards and fruits of the vine at Chateau Meichtry, Engleheim, Bear Claw, Ott Farms and Ellijay River wineries. For more substantial fare, Canterbury’s, The River Street Tavern, Emily’s, The Roof, The Back Porch Bistro, and Wood Fired Pizza in Ellijay and The Black Sheep and Cucina Rustica in Blue Ridge are some of the best restaurants around.
If you’re feeling sporty, you can go tubing on the Toccoa River, boating at Lake Blue Ridge or Lake Nottely, try whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River, or hike the more than 50 trails in the area. There’s also golf, zip lining, music festivals, and Amicalola Falls nearby.
After a fun-filled day, you’ll rest in comfort in one of four beautifully furnished bedrooms. There are two masters, each with a king bed and private bath. The main floor master has a TV, deck access, and both a walk-in shower and a large soaking tub in the bath. The downstairs master’s bath has a walk-in shower. The other bedrooms on the main and lower levels have queen beds and separate baths with walk-in showers. All bathrooms have granite counters and upgraded river rock and tile in the showers.
Birchwood Lodge also provides you with cable TV, WiFi, a washer/dryer, ceiling fans in several rooms, and a paved and gravel driveway. But it’s the warm and welcoming ambience and happy feeling you’ll experience here that you’ll take with you and remember long after you leave.Amenities
- Unlimited WiFi
- Cabin sleeps 8 (2 kings, 2 queens)
- Game Room - air hockey, shuffleboard, card table, board games, puzzles, 60” Smart TV, leather sofa, sofa, coffee table, kitchen with refrigerator, sink, microwave, wine rack and cabinets, ceiling fan
- Outdoor - covered front porch, chair, side table; main level covered deck, patio table seats 6, built in gas grill, rockers; main level covered side deck, stacked stone wood burning fireplace, 40” flat screen TV, 2 chairs with ottomans, loveseat, coffee table; lower patio, 4 Adirondack chairs, hot tub seats 6, hook and ring toss game, corn hole
- Interior - natural wood, warm drywall finishes, ceiling fans
- Kitchen - fully equipped main level kitchen, stainless steel appliances, double oven, custom cabinets, granite counter tops, breakfast bar seats 4, kitchen utensils, microwave, crockpot, blender, toaster, coffeemaker, Keurig
- Dining Room - dining table seats 6, breakfast bar seats 4
- Media - cable, local telephone
- Family Room - sectional suede sofa, lounging chair, stone gas fireplace, 55” flat screen TV, 2 chairs, side table, coffee table, lamps
- Bedrooms - main level master bedroom, king bed, 40” flat screen TV, dresser, night stands, lamps, rocker, deck access; second main level bedroom, queen bed, dresser, night stand, lamp, chair, ceiling fan; downstairs bedroom, king bed, night stands, lamps, chaise lounge, rug, ceiling fan; second downstairs bedroom, queen bed, night stands, lamps, two chairs, ceiling fan
- Bathrooms - main level master bath, soaking tub, walk-in shower, granite top double vanity; second main level bath, walk-in shower, granite top vanity; downstairs bath, walk-in shower, granite top vanity; second downstairs bath, walk-in shower, granite top vanity
- Laundry - washer and dryer on main level
- Central HVAC
- Drive to Cabin - steep paved roads to cabin, gravel driveway